Healthy spaghetti squash dinner with chunky homemade walnut pesto!
Have you tried spaghetti squash? I didn’t know it existed until my roommate in Denver introduced me to it, but now I make it all the time! Spaghetti squash can be a great meal or side dish and you can pair it with any pasta sauce-tomato, curry, soy sauce, olive oil, and like today’s recipe–pesto!
You can find spaghetti squash in the produce section next to the acorn and butternut squash. Spaghetti squash can feed 2-4 people depending on the size of the squash. I bought a large spaghetti squash so I would have leftovers.
Fill a large pot 2/3 of the way full with water. Place spaghetti squash in water, place on stove, and bring water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-high. Let squash boil for 15 minutes, occasionally turning it over for even cooking. Feel free to jump down a few steps and make the walnut pesto while you’re waiting for your squash to cook!
Turn heat off and let squash sit for 10 minutes to cool. Once cooled, use a large knife to cut squash in half vertically. Use a spoon to scoop out seeds and discard seeds. Place 1/4 cup of water on a large, concave plate. Place one half of spaghetti squash face down on plate (pictured above). Microwave for 3 minutes. Repeat with the other half of spaghetti squash.
Use a fork to scoop out “spaghetti” and scoop into large bowl. Toss with salt and olive oil and top with walnut pesto.
For the walnut pesto: peel and chop garlic into large pieces. Place garlic in blender with fresh basil, 2 tablespoons of water, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Blend until desired consistency. As tempting as it looks, the garlic is very strong at this stage and I would recommend waiting to taste test until after you cook your pesto!
Place pesto mixture in a small pan and heat on medium heat with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Heat for 10 minutes until garlic has cooked down and walnuts are softened.
Top spaghetti with pesto and enjoy!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (coconut oil works too!)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fill a large pot ⅔ of the way full with water
- Place large spaghetti squash in water
- Place pot on stove and bring water to a boil and reduce heat to medium-high.
- Let squash boil for 15 minutes, occasionally turning over squash so it can cook evenly.
- Turn heat off and let squash sit for 10 minutes to cool.
- Cut squash in half vertically.
- Use a spoon to scoop out seeds. Discard seeds.
- Place ¼ cup of water on a plate.
- Place ½ spaghetti squash face down on a large, concave plate.
- Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Repeat with steps #7-10 with other half of spaghetti squash.
- Use a fork to scoop out "spaghetti" and scoop into large bowl
- Toss with salt and olive oil.
- Top with Walnut Pesto
- Peel and chop garlic into large pieces.
- Place garlic in blender with basil, walnuts, water, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Blend until desired consistency.
- Place pesto mixture in a small pan and heat on medium heat.
- Heat for 10 minutes until garlic has cooked down and walnuts are softened.
© Carrot Cake Kitchen. Please do not use my images without permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please re-write it in your own words and link back to this post.