Delicious autumn-inspired roasted vegetables and apples. Simple and healthy side ready in 20 minutes.
By now, you’re probably realizing I really like fall. Lots of pumpkin and apple baked goods on the blog recently. Just so you know, I’m trying to stay balanced and immerse my vegetables in fall flavors as well. Last night I was going to roast green beans to go with my chicken, and then I decided to throw some apples and onions in, which reminded of my favorite apple Thanksgiving stuffing. So I decided to go for the Thanksgiving-theme and added cinnamon, sage, and marjoram to give the vegetables a hint of stuffing-flavor.
I’ve been trying to loosely follow a Paleo-ish diet recently to eat a little healthier. For me, this means trying to stay away from grains, dairy, and artificial sugar and eat more vegetables and grass-fed meat. Because of this, I used coconut oil in my recipe. Even if you’re not trying to follow a Paleo or any other dairy-free diet (like vegan), coconut oil can be great for cooking. Coconut oil has healthy fats, similar to avocados or olive oil. One of the benefits of coconut oil in cooking is that it has a higher melting point, so it spatters less, and it can give vegetables a great, rich flavor. The Paleo-kick right now is also why I chose all-natural sea salt in my recipe.
Don’t mind the dairy? Feel free to substitute melted butter or another type of oil (such as canola, sunflower, or olive oil). Regular salt can also be used.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside. Cut carrots into spears and place on baking sheet. Drizzle one tablespoon of melted coconut oil on top. Place in oven for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cut ends off green beans, chop the onion and apples into cubes. Take carrots out of the oven and add green beans, onion, apples, and craisins on baking sheet. Drizzle remaining coconut oil on vegetables and sprinkle on marjoram, cinnamon, sage, and salt. Bake for 15 more minutes.
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups of green beans
- 2 medium apples
- ½ medium onion (about ¾ cup)
- ¼ cup craisins
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon all natural sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut carrots into spears and place on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, cut ends off green beans, chop the onion and apples.
- Add green beans, onion, apples, and craisins to carrots on baking sheet.
- Drizzle remaining coconut oil on top.
- Sprinkle cinnamon, sage, marjoram, and salt on vegetables.
- Bake for 15 minutes more minutes.
© Carrot Cake Kitchen. Please do not use my images without permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please re-write it in your own words and link back to this post.